2 to 6 players
Play all the cards in your hand
Select a dealer; shuffle cards and deal to each player:
- Deal 10 cards each; with two players
- Deal 7 cards each, with three to four players
- Deal 6 cards each, with five or six players
Cards that are not dealt to players are placed face down in a pile in the middle of the table to form a draw pile. The top card on the draw pile is turned over next to draw card. This card becomes the discard pile.
Playing the Game:
On each turn, the player follows this sequence:
- Draw one card from the top of the draw pile or the discard pile.
- If the player picks up the top card of the discard pile, they may not discard the same card at the end of their turn.
- Play (or choose not to play) a meld of cards (see meld below) or add to other players melds.
- Discard one card by placing face up on top of the discard pile. If the player melds all their cards they are not required to discard a card
If the draw pile is used up; shuffle all the cards in the discard pile except for the top one to form a new draw pile
A meld of cards contains one of two options
- A group, also called a book, of three or four cards of the same number
- 2 of hearts, 2 of clubs, 2 of diamonds…………
- A sequence, also called a run, of three or more consecutive cards of the same suit. The ace is always the low card in a sequence.
- 5 of hearts, 6 of hearts, 7 of hearts………..
- To play on another players meld place the additional card/cards in front of the person playing the card
- place 2 of spades in front of current player
- play 4 of hearts or 8 of hearts in front of current player
A player goes out (rummy) if they play all of their cards through melding and discarding in a single play. There are no cards left in that players hand. All points are doubled for that hand.
Aces = 1 point
Number cards = face value
Face cards= 10 points
The first player to reach a predetermined score (100) or having the highest score after a predetermined number of hands played is the winner.
Ace can be high or low – some families play that the ace can be either a high or low card. This would allow sequences of ace, two, three and queen, king, ace. If playing the ace in the queen, king, ace the point value becomes = 15 points.